Sunday, October 19, 2008

Seckel Pears

Last week on the The Splendid Table, a weekly cooking show on NPR (which is awesome and I listen every week.....you can podcast it too), she had a guest talking about pears. The woman spoke about these little baby pears called Seckel Pears. They are best for roasting or poaching. I had never seen or heard of them before and really thought nothing of them after the show. UNTIL, I stopped on Friday at the Apple Festival at Portland Nursery. I was perusing the apples and pears they had for sale and saw these little babies. I figured what the heck, I'll take a crack at poaching and canning them. I found a recipe on the web for them. I've included the recipe below.

Poaching in water, sugar and spices.

The finished product.


I have to admit it was a lot of effort for just two jars worth. You have to peal (PEAL) each tiny pear.

But, they were all yummy goodness. You just eat them seeds and all.....they practically melt in your mouth.

Spiced Poached Pears

2 doz. Seckel Pears
3 sticks of cinnamon
2 whole star anise
4 cloves
6 cups of water to cover (or whatever it takes to cover) and half that amount of sugar.

Peel the pears leaving the stems intact.
Place in a saucepan and cover with water.
Add sugar and spices, cover and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat and simmer till tender when pierced with a fork.

Either refrigerate them for eating within a week or two or can them using the boiling water process.

Enjoy,

Sammy

1 comment:

Neuroknitter said...

I'm bummed I missed the Apple Festival...I'll have to make a note of it for next year!

Your pears look scrumptious!