Sunday, October 5, 2008

What To Do With Quince

So, last weekend I was at my mother-in-law's for a quick visit and I spotted a quince tree in her neighbor's yard. Her neighbor is currently gutting the house and is not living there. So, I took liberties to swipe some quince, with the blessing of my very proper mother-in-law. What do you do with quince??? I didn't know. I just so happened to have picked up a Kerr Home Canning Book at a garage sale the week prior. The book is probably from the 1950's and opens with a letter from Ruth Kerr addressed to "Dear Homemaker". Okay, I will not take offense as I am feeling quite "homemakerish" lately. I have to find another word though.



Options for quince are fairly limited, as it is a bitter fruit. You can make jelly (I didn't have a jelly cloth), chutney (too many ingredients) or......ta da.......quince apple preserves. All I needed was quince, apples, sugar and water. Here's the recipe.

Quince Apple Preserves

Pare and slice or cube quinces and apples. Use 1/2 as many apples as you have quinces. Weigh and for each pound of combined fruit use 3/4 pound of sugar. Cook the quince in boiling water until tender, then add the apples and cook until the apples are tender. Pour into steralized jars and seal each jar as filled. I processed them in a hot water bath for 20 minutes and all of them popped nicely.

I can't tell you how my heart sings when I hear that pop.

Here are my quince apples preserves in front of pickles that were canned in August.

This fall and winter, I will use the preserves as a sauce over pork or ham. I would love to hear your suggestions for their future use.

Sammy