Saturday, September 27, 2008

Summer's Ending

Today is beautiful and warm with 80's predicted for the next few days. September in Oregon is the most beautiful month, followed by a close 2nd of October. My garden is winding down, but I am surprised at how many flowers I still have.

The sunflowers are amazing. This is a beautiful burnt sienna variety.


I planted this about a month ago. It was in a quart size pot and now it's about 3 times the size. I love it and can not find the tag with the name. Does anyone know what it is?


This one was a surprise. It was a bulb I planted last fall, but I don't remember planting it or what the name is. Any help here?


My tomato's are going like gangbusters. I am having to can and freeze or we will look like two round red globes ourselves. Here is the before (bushel of tomatos) and after (a yummy roasted tomato sauce for freezing). Now we will have the flavor of summer on a cold January night. Can't wait!




I am currently reading Animal, Vegetable, Mircale by Barbara Kingsolver. It's become a source of inspiration to me. I really do want to live on a farm someday (Mr. K calls me Farmer Sam). I'll leave you with a bit of info from it. Organic produce shows significantly higher levels of antioxidants than conventional produce. These antioxidants protect us against disease, cell aging and tumor growth. Spending extra money on organic produce buys these extra nutrients, with added environmental benefits for the next generation.


So, grow your own victory garden or support your local organic grower.


See you, Sammy

1 comment:

Neuroknitter said...

Welcome to the blogosphere, Sammy! I heart your blog!

That top picture is awesome...it looks like a sunrise!

Looking forward to reading and seeing more here!! :)