Sunday, November 2, 2008

Speaking of Faith

Okay, I have to confess that I am a podcast junkie. I have all my favorite NPR shows that I download every week and listen to while I am cooking, gardening, running, etc. I wouldn't miss any of them each week......I LOVE them.

One of my favorites is called Speaking of Faith with Krista Tippett. It's a show about "religion, meaning, ethics and ideas". It's on OPB (91.5) on Sunday's at 7:00pm.

I just listened to the show from Sunday, October 25th. Krista interviewed Vashti McKenzie, the first woman bishop of the oldest historic black church in America. Mrs. McKenzie spoke about her particular experiences being a woman and black in America. She is incredibly articulate, knowledable and inspiring.

I thoroughly enjoyed the interview and came away with a few nuggets to ponder. Particularly she talked about being with her Dad in the South during the civil rights movement. She and her Dad were watching the freedom marchers and witnessed them being hosed down and yelled at. He turned to her and said......"never let anybody ask you what you did for your people and for your country." She decided she never wanted her children to ask her "what did you do", she wanted them to be able to see it.

I spent the rest of the day rolling those words through my mind. How can I make that true in my life? Who are the disenfranchised or marginalized in my world that I should be speaking out for or giving a hand? Right now, I will try to make a difference (large or small) every day.

Listen to Mrs. McKenzie's words and be inspired with me!

Sammy

No comments: