Sunday, December 28, 2008

December

December was the last month of the old Roman year which was divided into ten months. The Saxons called it "winter-monat" or winter month, and "heligh-monat" or holy month, from the fact that Christmas fell within it. The 22nd of December is the date of the winter solstice.

We definitely had a winter month as you can see from my backyard a few days ago. Even my cold frames are covered (I checked my lettuce today.....they are all snug and happy).

I love my garden all year round, but the snow is particularly beautiful. I find it calming and contemplative this time of year......a time of quiet. Good for the weary soul. I am not in a hurry for spring to come yet, everyone needs a time of rest.

A snow covered echinacea plant......


"On the first day of winter,


the earth awakens to the cold touch of itself.


Snow knows no other recourse except


this falling, this sudden letting go


over the small gnomed bushes, all the emptying trees.


Snow puts beauty back into the withered and malnourished,


into the death-wish of nature and the deliberate way


winter insists on nothing less than deference.


waiting all its life, snow says, "Let me cover you."-


Laura Lush, The First Day of Winter



Sammy

1 comment:

Neuroknitter said...

Lovely! Lovely!

I'm glad the lettuce is safe and sound! :)